Thursday, May 27, 2010

Idiot Country

I have just listened back to a track that I am working on at the moment provisionally called ‘Reaper’ (and no, it’s not a Seventies Progressive Rock tune) after having left it alone for a week or so.

Listening, something occurred to me. Had I made this sort of thing back in the eighties, to this quality, I would have been wetting myself with joy, and would have been convinced of my impending stardom. Actually back then I was pretty convinced of my impending stardom every time I finished a track, but listening back now I am wholly unsurprised I never made it passed the demo tape stage. This last little ditty puts nearly all I did back then into shadow, and yet I am not impressed. I am so much harder to please these days.

Why is that? Is it because I have so little time to work on these things, it takes so long to finish something that I expect it to be awesome when I have. Back then I could turn out a tune in a day or so, and have lyrics down pat in a few hours. Now it takes months even to get a rough copy together

The technology has made life so much easier. It is now a breeze to get what’s inside your head, out, and into the ears of others. The worry is now that no-one will want to listen to it. Luckily I decided way back only to make music I wanted to listen to. So chances are absolutely no one will want to listen to it, but at least I won’t be disappointed this time.

OK so a technology rich track for today, well this could be most things I listen to, but recently I have been getting back into Electronic whilst boxing my little heart out. The opening track of their first album is an absolute barnstormer ‘Idiot Country’ shouts at you from the get-go and doesn’t let up until it finishes. And politically quite relevant in these times.

“It's an open act of defiance, and it's aimed direct with you
We could form some kind of alliance, we could do what we wanted to do
And the young would live forever
And the sun would shine through the blue
If we got our hands on this nation,
we could do what we wanted to do”


Turn up, shout at the world..........

No comments:

Post a Comment