Friday, February 18, 2011

Give Me Back My Heart

Well this is the first blog of the new year and the big gap is mainly because of the track I talked about in the last blog entry. Taking a rather poor stereo copy of a track and trying to make it 'fit' in with what I am doing with the new album was no small task. I have learned an awful lot about what does and doesn't work when doing such a thing, mainly about how awesome EQ can be when you use it correctly. It's been a pretty steep learning curve but I think I got there in the end. Just have to walk away from it now for a month or so and come back fresh to it (then probably bin it altogether).

So only one track left to do now (Gulp), then it's a mammoth mix down and a bit of cover design, then the truly awkward bit of getting people to have a listen.

I am hoping to actually do some of the next track in the States later this year while the family are busy swimming in the afternoons . It's the one track I have been putting off for the longest. I only have an idea about how it should feel, and of course the vocal content. Having listened to a lot of early Trevor Horn production work, I want to try and capture than early 80's big sound feel. I have a bit of a tune, but not much to work with yet. Gonna have to fire up all three sythns to achieve that 'wall of keyboards sound', but at the same time, I want it fairly stripped down... I know, can't have both really. The one thing it will do is use everything I have learned over the past year recording, lots of different way of making sound, all mixed into one.

With this in mind, today's track is by Dollar : Give Me Back My Heart

So this is total cheese this record, but its so catchy, and of course saved by the production and writing skills of Trevor Horn. Starting up like 'I'm not in Love' by 10CC then you get this all familiar bass rumbling along under the airy fairy vocals. This song is pure Buggles 'LITE' but you have to love it (just don't tell anyone cool).

Oh and that play out.... simply divine !

No comments:

Post a Comment