Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Big Sky

So here we are again after a longish break. Shipping Forecast as finished as its going to get, and as planned Protect and Survive was started, but as before completely scrapped and rebuilt whilst out in Florida. I have these grand ideas which sometimes work but often don’t. I could see pretty early on things were not right, so I dumped it, extruded an old clip I was working with, created a whole new mid section with virtual synths and strapped an ethereal fade to its back end (again a whole separate piece of music).

I dumped half the samples I collected for it, and recorded whole new sections. Basically its not what I started out to do, but has ended up what it needs to be.

I’m not sure if this is how you should go about an album, after all this time I forget. But I seem to of thrown away more than I am using, there is a whole other album in there somewhere, but at 12 tracks I have had to stop.

So that’s it, no more composing, now just mixing and tweaking, which shouldn’t take too long.

So much for the big eighties sound I was after, talking of which it doesn’t get much bigger than today’s track… the Big Sky by Kate Bush.

Such a wet snare, such a squeaky voice, over the top drums, far too iconic, far too Irish… tiddly die tiddlly die tiddly die ahhhhhh, far too busy… and then we pause for a jet, oh yes, that jet, that’s what makes it for me.

It shouldn’t work, not with all those layers, yet it does, and its big and beautiful and unashamedly 80’s. Love it !

Oh and it has a Fairlight on it… nuff said.

No comments:

Post a Comment